Family law in the United Arab Emirates: overview

My husband divorced me and now three months have passed, meaning the divorce has become irrevocable. However, we have reconciled and he now wants to marry me again and I have no problem with that. But my family is angry with him and my father refuses to sign a new marriage contract. What can I do?

As outlined in article 108 of Federal law no28 of 2005 – the Personal Status Law – if your father agreed to your first marriage then you do not need his acceptance to marry the same person again. Therefore you may get married to your former husband again even if your father refuses to sign the marriage contract.

I am a Muslim woman whose husband, who was also Muslim, passed away recently. We have a son and my husband’s parents are alive but live outside the UAE. Can you please advise what would be my share of my late husband’s estate?

The inheritance of your late husband’s estate will be governed by Sharia. If it is the case that you have one son and your husband’s parents are still alive, that means you, as a wife, will be entitled to inherit 12.5 per cent of your late husband’s estate.

If you have a question for our legal consultant, email [email protected] with the subject line ‘Family Matters’.


Be the first to comment at "Family law in the United Arab Emirates: overview"

Write your comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.