Shelling from Yemeni rebels killed a Saudi border guard and wounded three civilians including a Bangladeshi, the interior ministry said on Friday.
Major General Mansour Al-Turki said in a statement on Friday that the attack happened Thursday in Saudi Arabia’s Jazan province, which borders Yemen.
Turki blamed Yemen’s Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, for launching the attack.
The Tuwal district of Jazan, on the Saudi frontier with Yemen, came under fire on Thursday afternoon, wounding the border guard corporal, a ministry statement said.
He died on the way to hospital.
Two Saudis and a Bangladeshi national were wounded by Houthi rebel shelling of Tuwal the same day, the Civil Defence agency said in a separate statement.
Separately, a local government official said on Friday that a drone strike killed two suspected members of Al Qaeda in central Yemen.
The two were lying under a tree in Rada, Bayda province, on Thursday when they were hit by an air strike, the official said.
Washington is the only government to operate drones over Yemen, but the United States only sporadically releases statements on its long-running bombing campaign against the country’s powerful Al Qaeda branch. On Wednesday, it acknowledged conducting drone strikes against Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula last week, killing four members of the group — two of them in Bayda.
Be the first to comment at "Saudi soldier killed by shells from Yemen"